Ask for help

Universal Credit has arrived in newport

You may not need to claim Universal Credit right now, but you might need it in the future if your circumstances change, like you lose your job or your benefits stop.

You may have heard about Universal Credit before, here’s a quick reminder.

Universal Credit replaces these benefits:

  • Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) – if you lose your job
  • Housing Benefit – if you need help with your rent
  • Working and Child Tax Credits – to top up your income
  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) – if you’re off work because you’re unwell
  • Income Support – if you have young children

Universal Credit is a bit different to how you or someone you know may have claimed benefits in the past, so it’s worth making sure you know about Universal Credit in case you ever need it.  

1.) If you need to make a claim for Universal Credit, you will need to apply online

The Universal Credit claimant journey is all done online, so internet access is really important.

2.) One of the key things you will need to be able to make a claim is an email address, so if you don’t already have one it’s worth setting one up.

3.) Your Universal Credit payment has to be paid into a bank or building society current account, or alternative account like a credit union account. The account must allow you to make and receive automated payments. If you don’t already have a bank account, you will need to set one up.

4.) Your Universal Credit will be paid to you monthly so you’ll need to get used to making a monthly budget, the Money Advice Service has some great advice on this

Keep us up to date with your email address or let us know if you’re struggling. By staying in touch, we’ll be able to make sure you get the right help and advice if you ever need it.

Talk to us about Universal Credit, we’re here to help!

Email rents.derwen@derwyncymru.co.uk

Call 01633 261 990

Feel free to share this page

Talk to us

For more information on this subject or on any other matter relating to Derwen Cymru, please contact us via telephone on 01633 261990. Alternatively you can use our online form or send us an email.