Ask for help

Planning Approved for Gaer Homes and Communal Hub

)Newport City Council has given planning approval for 39 new homes and a communal hub at The Gaer in Newport. The site is owned by Derwen Cymru, Wales only dedicated Older People’s Housing Provider and was residual land following the prefab regeneration scheme completed by Newport Housing Trust several years ago; the site has lain dormant since the last prefabs were demolished in 2006.

The project layout and designs reflect Derwen’s aspirations for a flagship older people’s development while also meeting a clearly identified need within Newport.  The design accommodates two communal blocks of self-contained apartments with a central communal hub and four walk-up apartments, providing a total of 39 new homes. Of these new homes, 33 will be two bedroom apartments and 6 will be one bedroom.

Due to the topography of the site, the apartments will have glazed balconies to benefit from the views and will be split across a number of levels from lower ground floor to second floor, with lift access.

Scott Sanders, Corporate Director of Derwen said:

“This is great news for Newport and residents of the Gaer. The communal hub will provide a wonderful place for residents and those living in the adjoining Derwen homes to relax and socialise both inside and out on the raised terrace.

We are working closely with Newport City Council to design the grounds and a roof top garden to maximise the beneficial health and social impacts associated with being actively engaged in gardening, walking and growing vegetables. More new homes are currently being designed to benefit older people in Gwent”

It is anticipated that the building programme will take 15 months with scheme completion in Autumn 2016.

Internal View of Community Hub

Internal view of Community Hub

Feel free to share this page

Talk to us

For more information on this subject or on any other matter relating to Derwen Cymru, please contact us via telephone on 01633 261990. Alternatively you can use our online form or send us an email.