Welfare Reform – benefit limits
From July 2013, the overall amount of benefit you can receive will be capped. The Government will add up how much money you get from a range of benefits, including: Housing Benefit, Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Employment Support Allowance, Child Benefit, Child Tax Credits and Carers Allowance. If the total comes to more than the maximum amount allowed your housing benefit payments will be reduced.
The maximum amount of benefit you will be able to receive from April 2013 will be:
- £500 per week for single parents
- £500 per week for couples with or without children
- £350 per week for single people without children
This will not apply to you if:
- You get pension credit or working tax credit
- A member of your household is claiming Disability Living Allowance, Attendance Allowance, Industrial Injuries benefit or the support element of Employment Support Allowance.
UK Government have created an online benefit cap calculator