Ask for help

Welfare Reform – personal independence payment

Charter Housing - your benefits are changing
The new Personal Independence Payment (PIP) will replace Disability Living Allowance (DLA). This new benefit is designed to provide similar help to people with disabilities but it will be easier to understand. There will be regular reviews for people in receipt of PIP to make sure that they are assessed on their current needs. PIP will be assessed across the entire day. It has two parts: Daily Living and Mobility – and each has two rates: Standard and Enhanced. The decision on an award will be made by a ‘Decision Maker’ based on information from a medically qualified person.

 To qualify for PIP, you must:

  • Be of working age (16-64).
  • Have had a disability for three months prior to your application and be expected to continue to have that disability for at least nine months after.
  • Past residence and presence tests (you must have the right to remain in the UK and not be living abroad for more than 12 weeks of the year).

Who will be affected and when:

The new benefit will be introduced in phases.

  • From June 2013 all new claims will be assessed using the PIP rules.
  • In Autumn 2013, any reviews and changes of circumstances relating to existing DLA claims will be assessed using the PIP rules.
  • The Department for Work and Pensions intends to reassess all DLA claims starting early 2014 and hopes to finish by 2016.


Charter Housing - related information


Feel free to share this page

Talk to us

For more information on this subject or on any other matter relating to Derwen Cymru, please contact us via telephone on 01633 261990. Alternatively you can use our online form or send us an email.